Monday, October 26, 2009

Am I going to get the Flu Shot &/or the H1N1 Shot?


So first, my opinion, I am very pro-vaccine as I think the pros out weight the cons & them seem to have a strong history of preventing disease and don't seem to have many proven long term side effects or consequences.

The flu shot, however, I don't believe in. A few years back, I saw a documentary that explained how flu shots were designed. Each year medical people try to predict which SIX flu strains will be the most common NEXT year and so when you get the shot, you are protected from 6 of thousands of flu strains. From that, I decided that was a very small protection, thus small benefit, for the flu shot. I also am not a fan of needles so there needs to be a good benefit for me to get one. I also saw a poster at my local gym around the same time, that broke down what chemicals were in the flu shot & the components of anti-freeze was in it. That freaked me out!

I guess my biggest reason not to get the shot, is that the flu itself is not a deadly disease. If you are already unwell, it can push you over the edge, but otherwise the flu is just inconvenient.


Since the flu mutates, I can't help but wonder if each flu vaccines doesn't actually cause more mutations? I'm not a scientist, so I don't know but it's an interesting theory.

Today, I read the following online. Not sure if it's all true, but it really wouldn't surprise me if it was...
(Source: http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2009/10/-the-h1n1-flu-vaccine-debate-should-you-or-shouldnt-you.html)

-the flu vaccine is no more effective for children than a placebo, according to a large-scale, systematic review of 51 studies, published in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews.

-A study published in the Lancet just found that influenza vaccination was NOT associated with a reduced risk of pneumonia in older people. This is VERY important to note, because 35,000 of the 36,000 “flu” deaths the government reports each year are caused by diseases like pneumonia, and NOT the flu itself.

-Research published in the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine also confirms that there has been no decrease in deaths from influenza and pneumonia, despite the fact that vaccination coverage among the elderly has increased from 15 percent in 1980 to 65 percent now.

-No, there isn’t much scientific research showing that flu vaccines do work, but there are highly credible studies coming out that flu vaccines are actually dangerous. In fact, children who get the flu vaccine are more at risk for hospitalization than their peers who do not get the vaccine, according to research presented at the 105th International Conference of the American Thoracic Society in San Diego. The study found that children who had received the flu vaccine had three times the risk of hospitalization, as compared to children who had not received the vaccine (read more at http://www.physorg.com/news161971715.html).

-There has been an American Medical Association study that concluded that for every 100 people who get a flu shot, it will prevent 1 person from getting the flu.

-From the package insert for the flue shot: there have been no controlled trials demonstrating a decrease in influenza disease after vaccination with FLULAVAL.

-Health expert and editor of NaturalNews.com, Mike Adams, points out that there has never been a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial on the efficacy of the flu shot (a fact that even most doctors don’t know).

1 comment:

  1. Danielle7:57 PM

    I thought I'd let you know that Hudzyn and I got the H1N1 vaccination. Hudzyn has to go back for her follow up shot in 1.5 weeks. She cried for about 10 seconds and didn't complain again. She hasn't experienced any side effects. I got mine over a week ago and my shoulder is still a little sore! I couldn't sleep on that side until the 5th night. I am actually shocked at how much my arm hurt. LOL. I hate needles, so I'm pretty sure I tensed up when the nurse gave it to me. Other than the fact that I'm a big baby, I haven't experienced any side effects. Lakelyn is still too young to be vaccinated. My husband is supposed to be going to get his shot tomorrow. Other than the actual injection, our experiences have been pleasant. We didn't have to wait in line. The clinic we attended seemed very organized and efficient.

    ReplyDelete