Monday, November 26, 2007

My poem...

My dad is notoriously difficult to buy for (as a lot of men are I think) and he refuses to give us any idea of what to give him for Christmas. I asked my boss, also a male, what ideas he could suggest for a gift. He said to give him a gift from the heart. If you don't know my family history it is as follows:
-my mom got pregnant at a young age & had me at 16 1/2 years old.
-my male biological contributor (as I have coined him) was not someone my mom wanted to continue a relationship with, and further decided I would suffer from any partial relationship he could conjure up with me when the time suited him (and he's since proven this accurate over the last 7 years since I sured 18).
-When I was about 6 years old she married a man I have sinced called Dad & they had two more children that are my brother and sister (half in others' eyes).
So I decided to buy one of those hinged double frames. On one side I will scrap beautifully two pictures I have of my Dad & I: us dancing at my grad & us dancing at my wedding LOL Apparently we don't get our picture taken together too often. On the other side I am going to put the following poem, which I have written myself. Please write your comments!
Dad. A title that is often given,
But rarely earned.
Most think they get it through birthright,
But that’s not what I have learned.

It’s an invest of your time,
Your love and your support.
The good ones don’t test-drive it,
Then get scared & abort.

The job isn’t easy,
But it can be fun,
From Baby to 18?
No you are never done.

The balance between discipline and trust,
Is a hard one to find…
If you analyze it too much,
You’ll probably lose your mind!

We will all make parenting mistakes,
But so long as you try your best,
Part of the forgiveness comes quickly,
And time takes care of the rest.

Now don’t mistake my tone,
There's no sadness or regret,
You’ve taught me many lessons,
None that I will forget!

So I thank you for being a parent,
My Father and my Dad,
As far as I’m concerned,
You’re the only one I’ve ever had.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:14 AM

    aw he will love that for sure! :) What a great idea. Is he the emotional type?? cuz I totally imagine in the movies when the dad opens the sentimental gift and just kind of tears up over it.. and that really nice moment/spirit fills the room (with of course the nice music in the background to set the mood)

    seriously though, really nice poem!

    -Ky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:02 AM

    Crystal, that's beautiful! I actually got all teary reading it...but you know what a mushball I am. I think it's a GREAT idea for a gift. he will love it!
    - Diana :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you guys! I hope he loves it too...

    ReplyDelete