Monday, October 16, 2006

Diamonds N' Denim Gala

Last week I ended up winning tickets to the Canadian Paraplegic Association's Diamonds & Denim Gala for Saturday. I was driving to work, listening to the Zed and they said "if you want to play a game give us a call & be #9"...I like to play games so I called in. I was caller #3, so I thought, alright I'll try again, I was caller #7, I thought what are the chances, okay one more time...and BINGO I was caller number 9. Which is completely crazy cuz normally it's near impossible to get in once let alone 3 times!
I had to play the "wrong game" meaning they ask me a question & I had to give any answer as long as it's the wrong one...some examples:
Q: What color is a pink flamingo? A: Purple
Q: How many Olsen twins are there? A: 17
Q: What do you wash with shampoo? A: you butt
I think they asked about 10 questions & I got them all right (or wrong?). The prize was two tickets to the Gala worth $140. Score!
Katherine Alexander & I went. The evening's activities included: Cocktails, Dinner, Silent Auction, Live Auction, Door Prizes, 50/50 draw, dance & a chance at winning a $1500 diamond pendant by purchasing a key and trying it on a lock. Drinks were $4.50/each (but they had a variety of stuff available), dinner was decent (chicken cor de bleu & roast) with an excellent selection of desserts, I won a blue afgan in the silent auction, and a door prize (manicure set - weak, but cool just to win), Katherine won the same door prize.
I was surprised by the price that some of the items in the Auction went for (mostly that the prices were too low):
Sydney Crosby signed jersey - $1800
Edmonton Oilers' Jersey signed by entire western conference team - $1100
Signed Picture of 2006 Canadian Olympic Women's Hockey Team - $550
We didn't stay for the dance as it was a country band (& I'm not that into that). However it was an okay evening...though I think it'd be a lot cooler if it wasn't a denim Gala!

No comments:

Post a Comment