Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Hiccups, Sleeping Positions, Priorities, Hospitals

Hiccups
I have read quite a bit, in my baby books, about baby hiccups. I had just finished telling Tyler, about a week and a half ago, that I hadn't felt anything like that when I felt it. It feels sort of like a rhythmic twitch every other second and has lasted for maybe a minute or two. If I hadn't read about it I might not have paid too much attention to it and just thought it was regular baby movement.
Sleeping Positions
It didn't take long after becoming pregnant before I was informed that I had to sleep on my side, not my back or stomach. Then, when I took the Early Prenatal class offered by our health unit, they went on to say that you need to sleep on your left side only. The theory was that there is an artery or organ on your right side & in your back that can be squished by the wait of baby/uterus and cause damage to mom &/or baby. As an avid side to stomach sleeper this was pretty difficult to thing to aim for and I got to the point where I just didn't care. A masseuse I knew told me that all you have to do to take the pressure off the back artery is to put a facecloth there. That little bit of cloth makes all the difference? Then I found some material online or in a book (can't remember) which said the sleep thing was a theory at best and that it had never been proven. A new theory was that if indeed blood flow was severed by the weight of baby/uterus, that mom would awake and change positions as she would sense a difference. That made a lot of sense to me as in reality I'd never heard of a pregnant women dying from blood loss while sleeping.
A couple months ago I asked Dr.Phillpot if I would hurt my baby if I ended up sleeping on my stomach. She said not at all, that the uterus is a really good protective barrier for baby. In fact, she said that the OB/GYN society people had released new information saying they no longer believed that it mattered how you slept. So sleep however you are comfortable ladies and enjoy it while you can!
Priorities
I have two schools of thought that seemingly contradict each other, but can work together I think. The first is that your children should be your number 1 priority & my second is that you have to take care of yourself first because "you can't pour water from an empty pitcher." I think I believe the second statement as long as it's not determental to your kids. For example, I think to be a successful parent you need to be happy in your relationships, spirtually fulfilled, physically nourished, etc. However, when it comes to the priorities in your life, like whether you should make & distribute Birthday/Christmas wish lists at 30, or go play a hockey game two days after your baby is born, I think you need to choose your kids.
Perhaps there is just a balance that needs to be maintained between taking personal time for you & your partner as well as building a life that fully includes your kids. It's probably not healthy to make your kids the "center of your life"...as they are one element of it (but a big element!). Example: Jennifer Persson's mom if you're from Grimshaw
Hospital
I have never really been in a hospital, at least for anything much related to me. Both my brother & sister have had physical injuries that caused them to spend a night or two there but I never have. I did have my miscarriage last December but I was never checked into the hospital. I've also spent a bit of time in hospitals visiting sick relatives (my Great Grandma when she had cancer, my Grandpa when he loads of problems for a few years).
The reason I bring this up, is that its really hard for me to visualize my birthing experience because I don't really know what to expect in regard to staying in the hospital. We are doing the "Better Beginnings" hospital orientation on Aug 20th, which will help, but won't fully fill in the gaps of my knowledge. I'm sure there will be all sorts of little details that will remain foreign to me unless the situation comes up...it kind of scares me!

No comments:

Post a Comment