Monday, June 01, 2009

Beyond an/on/en/in...

When I was in junior high or high school I started really noticing how people named their kids. In particular, my friend Vanessa's family. She had a nephew Dalton, and cousins Tristan, Colton & Tullson. It was here that I grew a distaste for the "on" ending and it popularity and vowed to avoid it when I picked my own children's names. My resolve was strengthened by my common maiden name of Johnson and now married surname of Nelson. I personally would prefer a variety of sound in there!

That being said, there is a plethra of male names that end in the on/en/in/an/yn. And most of those are beautiful names. For instance I've always like "Jordan" and one of my characters is an "Aidan", plus many of my friends & family have recently named their kids with names from this group: Hudzyn, Owen, Jackson, Keegan, Regan, Addison, Gavin, Cayden, Logan...all names perfectly suited to their children and I couldn't imagine anything else for them.

I'm sure no one overthinks the naming process quite to the level that I do but really that is my personality. It keeps me entertained! So Tyler & I are still on the hunt for baby name options. Our list building is slow because I'm very decisive about what I don't like but not willing to committ to liking much. So often the name sounds good for a second but not that great after a while. I guess I just feel that my child deserves the "perfect most spectacular" name and I'm not sure if that exists :-)

3 comments:

  1. I know it is hard to pick out names! Poor Addison was nameless for 48hrs! Never thought of the endings like that! I know you will pick out a great name!!
    For all you out there, I have a Jordan and an Addison...lol...I sooooo was not thinking of name endings....even funnier we are Hansen's!!
    Now I am laughing, we must seem so silly to you...hahaha

    See you on tuesday for CNTM?? I will be here!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle2:50 PM

    I felt the same way about the "en" type of endings and yet the only names I have come up with have them. LOL. Funny how that works! I find naming a child to be very tricky. It's very important to me that my child have a unique name that I will like forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:13 PM

    I totally hear on on the endings! I was completely against picking a name ending in any of those endings, but when Logan appeared I just knew it was the name. Specifically all my nephews are: Rylan, Jaden, and Austin. So.. I quickly got over that when he arrived into my arms!

    ReplyDelete